Huber Urges California Constitutional Convention During Elk Grove Town Hall Meeting

Although she is holding her first ever elected political office, California Assembly member Alyson Huber told dozens of constituents she thi...



Although she is holding her first ever elected political office, California Assembly member Alyson Huber told dozens of constituents she thinks there is a simple solution to the state’s perennial budget crisis – a state constitutional convention.

Huber, the first term Democrat from El Dorado Hills representing the state's 10th assembly district, made these and other comments during a town hall meeting at the Wackford Community Center in Elk Grove last night.

Referencing the state’s most recent budget crisis, Huber said that depending on the year, up to 93% of spending is constitutionally mandated. The remaining 7% is flexible.

Holding copy’s of the U.S. and the state’s constitutions, she noted the length and heft of the California’s constitution. “It read more like a book of regulations,” Huber said.

A constitutional convention, Huber said, would be the best way to reform the state’s on-going budget battles over how to raise and spend money. Huber also said changing the redistricting process would go a long way in electing representatives who would be more willing to compromise on budgetary matters.

“We have tied ourselves into knots,” she said.

Huber also discussed Assembly Bill 1066 that she and fellow assembly member Joan Buchanan have sponsored. If enacted, the bill would require when the state is looking to open new offices it takes into consideration were the work force lives.

This would directly benefit Elk Grove as it is home to thousands of state workers. Elk Grove has been trying to attract state offices to the area for several years.

Huber also discussed educational matter and foreclosures during her presentation. During the question and answer session, Huber fielded questions on education spending, housing and health care.

Post a Comment Default Comments

1 comment

Media Desk said...

Californians are angry! We believe California’s system of government is fundamentally broken. Our prisons overflow, our water system teeters on collapse, our once proud schools are criminally poor, our financing system is bankrupt, our democracy produces ideologically-extreme legislators that can pass neither budget nor reforms, and we have no recourse in the system to right these wrongs. It's time to get involved http://pfx.me/eJ

Follow Us

Popular

Archives

Elk Grove News Minute






All previous Elk Grove News Minutes, interviews, and Dan Schmitt's Ya' Gotta be Schmittin' Me podcasts are now available on iTunes

Elk Grove News Podcast




item